[dinosaur] New titanosaur fossils from Mato Grosso State, Brazil

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

A new paper:

Kamila L.N.Bandeira, Elaine Batista Machado, Diogenes de Almeida Campos & Alexander W.A. Kellner (2019)
New Titanosaur (Sauropoda, Dinosauria) records from the Morro do Cambambe Unit (Upper Cretaceous), Mato Grosso State, Brazil.
Cretaceous Research (advance online publication)
doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cretres.2019.06.001
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195667119300011

We report new dinosaur bones from the Upper Cretaceous of western Brazil. Although fragmentary remains are reported since the XIX century, in this paper we describe for the first time, well-preserved cervical, dorsal and caudal vertebrae and one femur of titanosaur specimens. They come from Morro do Cambambe strata and show similarities with non-Saltasaurinae lithostrotian titanosaurs, such as Trigonosaurus pricei, Uberabatitan riberoi and some Aeolosaurini taxa. Although the bones cannot be sure assigned to a single individual, those elements still consist in the most complete remains recovered for this formation. The taxa described here also helps to understand some gaps in the knowledge of the Late Cretaceous vertebrate fauna from Brazil, and indicate possible faunal similarities among Brazilian Cretaceous formations.