RE: [dinosaur] An etymological question

Well this got my curiosity going.

Dropping "tuso" into google translate, it detects it as filipino but gives two different translations depending whether it is capitalized or not: "Tuso" = "crap" while "tuso" = "cunning".

A reddit page from four months ago asks for a translation

https://www.reddit.com/r/biology/comments/acarqx/etymology_of_tusoteuthis/

which likewise echoes "cunning".

The Logan 1898 reference is on line in google books where the name just  appears and with no meaning given (I note that it's referred to as T. longus, not longa).

< https://books.google.com/books?id=9QDjAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA497&lpg=PA497&dq=tusoteuthis&source=bl&ots=djiPc4HQpP&sig=J1_3jdFAyCWJ5j8jWcHQ9QUQsNk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ikQ9UOT4COreigLcroHgAg&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=tusoteuthis&f=false>

wiktionary gives several choices, even in esperanto

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/tuso

where an etymology for the Spanish "tuso" is given as

"From the irregular old past participle of the verb tundir, corresponding to Latin tonsus"

where tonsus translates as "shorn". Other meanings are docked, cropped, dog, and as a verb, to shear or trim.

Logan compares it to Teuthopsis, but

"differs from that genus in having a lanceolate instead of a spatulate gladius, and a thicker, shorter shaft"

Shorter? As in, trimmed, cropped, shorn â? After being all over the map, that's the only clue I see. That would mean mixing Spanish in with the Greek and Latin which I suppose is ok.

Wow, that was fun.