[dinosaur] Titanosaurs + terror birds + Michael Hudgins + more

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

Some recent items:

Your Friends The Titanosaurs, part 16: Malarguesaurus and Magyarosaurus

https://equatorialminnesota.blogspot.com/2019/09/your-friends-titanosaurs-16-malarguesaurus-magyarosaurus.html

===

Palaeocast: Terror birds with Federico "Dino" Degrange

http://www.palaeocast.com/terror-birds/

=====

Fernando Novas: Argentina has the best dinosaurs in the world (in Spanish)

https://www.rionegro.com.ar/el-paleontologo-que-dice-que-los-mejores-dinosaurios-son-de-argentina-1107742/

====

Japanese paleontologist Makoto Manabe interview on dinosaurs and the Tanis site (in Japanese)

https://natgeo.nikkeibp.co.jp/atcl/web/19/070300010/071100008/

====

New Jurassic crocodile fossils from Araripe Geopark in Brazil to be described in PLoS ONE (in Portuguese)

https://mais.opovo.com.br/fossil-crocodilo-cariri-mais-antigo-descoberto-brasil.html

===

The Origin of Dinosaurs Âwith Michael Hudgins of the University of Alberta, CanadaÂ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-R4wTXGGKY

===

Mystriosaurus (in German)

http://geohorizon.de/2019/09/14/mystriosaurus/

===

SOME PERSONAL COMMENTS...

Just to be clear, I have nothing to do with the technical side of the DML. Any "spam" and "scam" emails that people may receive are not coming from me. If you posted something to the DML at some point, a web crawler might have found your email address in the DML archive (http://dinosaurmailinglist.cmnh.org/) or elsewhere on the internet. You may need to check your spam filter on your own email service. A few such "spam" items seem to get through the DML filters and show up in the Archive.

************

Also, I have posted news stories and published papers that are based on privately owned fossils under scientific study, provided the fossils are not currently being put up for commercial sale. This is my understanding of the DML restriction on mentioning the commercial sale of fossils.

My intent is NOT to encourage or promote private ownership of dinosaur and other fossil specimens, only to pass on information about dinosaur research, even if there is scholarly controversy involved. I think such privately owned fossils can be newsworthy despite the controversies, which I try to mention.

The Society of Vertebrate Paleontology has a strict policy about fossils that are not curated at recognized institutions (museums, universities, colleges, etc.) that make them available to researchers on a permanent basis. Fossil specimens that are not properly curated should not be used or cited in formal papers published by the SVP. Some people go even further and won't study fossils that have not been carefully documented, studied in context, and excavated on site according to modern professional and scholarly standards.Â

Many museums, institutions, Âand researchers have different attitudes and policies about privately owned or commercially sold fossils. The Smithsonian, ROM, Field Museum, etc., buy specimens from commercial fossil dealers and private owners (even if the field documentation is not perfect). The fossils then are curated for researchers. Â

However, some museums or other institutions also will temporarily or semi-permanently host privately owned fossils that do not belong to permanently curated collections open to all and so have no formal specimen designations. The fossils nevertheless have been studied and may be described in scientific publications.Â

Privately owned Archaeopteryx described in PeerJÂ

https://peerj.com/articles/4191/

Recent examples include the Tyrannosaurus specimen Tristan (owned by a Danish businessman) at the Berlin Museum of Natural History and the Allosaurus specimen called Arkhane, allegedly a different species, currently at the Brussels Museum of Natural Sciences (private owner not disclosed, but bought at a recent auction in France), both of which have been studied at the museums.Â

https://phys.org/news/2015-12-berlin-t-rex-fever-tristan-stomps.html

https://www.thebulletin.be/meet-arkhane-newly-discovered-dinosaur-species-goes-display-brussels

Most recently, a privately owned Tyrannosaurus specimen nicknamed "Victoria" (after the city in Canada where the fossil bones were prepared by a commercial company) is on tour, starting with a science center in Arizona. According to news reports, the specimen has also been studied by paleontologists and will get a published description at some point.Â

I have posted items about these fossils on the DML but also have mentioned the ownership issues. And again, to the best of my knowledge, these fossil are not being offered for sale commercially.

(I have avoided mentioning a number of dinosaur fossils in the news that are currently being offered for sale or auction.)Â