Re: [dinosaur] Agressive behavior of the T. rex

On Mon, Sep 23rd, 2019 at 9:48 AM, Gregory Paul <gsp1954@aol.com> wrote:

> A difference would be that big crocs are very familiar with humans and regard
> us as tasty, vulnerable shoreline meals.

Even in areas where crocs have never encountered humans, we're likely still on
the menu. Estuarine crocs
here in Australia are opportunists that will attempt to eat just about anything
within their accepted prey
size range (which for a large croc is quite a wide range indeed).

Even in areas where crocs live alongside humans, there's on average just one
attack on humans per year
in Australia, with a fatality roughly every three years. That's not nearly
often enough for individual animals
to learn that humans specifically are good to eat.

Things may be different for Nile crocs in Africa though, where successful
attacks on humans are far more
common.

> A theropod might find us perplexing
> and be less prone to attack, but if hungry might try a person out for
> palatability. Which would not be good.

It's been suggested that most attacks on humans by great white sharks are
little more than exploratory
bites by a curious creature. Usually they'll bite just once, realise we're not
that palatable, and lose
interest. Unfortunately for us, a single exploratory bite is often enough to
cause a fatal injury. That would
be even more true of a large theropod.

--
Dann Pigdon